- to promote and protect the interests of its member companies engaged in the
building and repairing ships in Australia and generally to advance the welfare
and standard of the Australian shipbuilding industry;
- support and encourage research into techniques, materials, work practices and other matters associated with the shipbuilding industry;
- to encourage and foster the education and training of persons in the shipbuilding industry and broaden the range and improve the standard of skills training;
- to provide a forum for the free and full exchange of ideas, views and proposals on all matters pertaining to the shipbuilding industry; and
- to support and co-operate with any other organisation or association whose objectives are similar to those of the Association.